Wednesday, August 18, 2010

BUGS

Confession: I'm an Alaskan girl, so I've never really had to deal with large bugs before. Now it is a daily experience when I am cleaning house. It's really gross, but every time I clean the house I find SO MANY BUGS. Little potato bugs, tiny white ant looking things, and the most common are these large spiders that look like daddy long legs, but with smaller bodies. They have little spider webs in every corner, even the ones I know I cleaned out the day before. I am the biggest wimp when it comes to squishing them, so sometimes Eric comes home to find cups and bowls on the floor with "presents" underneath. I've found a new way to cope, I get out the bottle of bleach and just spray the suckers and then go back a few minutes later and clean it up, that way i don't have to actually squish them with a paper towel. But then yesterday I was making dinner and I found something even more disgusting. There was a trail of tiny, microscopic white little creatures making a long trail from the bottom of my pantry to under my refrigerator. I have no idea what they were after, there isn't any food down there or under the fridge for all I know, but they were all in a line on the linoleum marching back and forth. I took out their little colony with the Clorox, but still- I wonder how long it had been there, and how long it's taken me to notice it. They were so tiny, and the same color as the floor. Now everywhere I go I am paranoid I will find more, and I usually do.

Not to mention the cicadas. They are a different story altogether. Out of the 30 buildings in our complex, 5 or 6 of them have their back deck areas facing the highway. Ours happens to be one of them. And along the fence between us and the highway is a row of trees. In these trees, are cicadas. Hundreds of them, and they are very loud. Honestly, the first time I went out there I swore there had to be an electric wire buzzing somewhere back there, because there was no way bugs could produce that much sound. Between that and the noise of the highway, oh and did I mention more bugs? our backyard is pretty much useless.

Luckily, I haven't found any in our house yet. I'm not sure I'd survive that encounter.

Sorry, I just killed 3 daddy long leg wannabes and swept 2 potato bugs out of the house. I just needed to get that off my chest.

6 comments:

  1. Aaah I remember the days of being bugged by bugs. They don't so much anymore. We Alaskans were pretty spoiled to have only mosquitoes, flies, huge black ants and daddy longlegs. Completely harmless! We have cicadas here too. One time I was sweeping the back porch, wearing a skirt and one came flying at me and went right up my skirt. It was horrific. I had no idea what it was and was so panicked and grossed out. In all actuality they're pretty harmless (if a little loud!). Just make sure Chase doesn't pick their exoskeletons off the trees after they shed them and pop them in his mouth. Yes, it's happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had those spiders when we moved in; and ants, lots of ants. Keala "bug barrier"ed the whole place, inside and out. Even the crickets that most people have cross the barrier and die on our linoleum. I'm yet to see any alive. So, i guess you guys could try that. Just bought the stuff at walmart the week be came in. (i have no idea what those whitesh things are...haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gross! At least they go away in the wintertime, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disgusting. When I lived in Kentucky there were cicadas (among other things). I am just as squirmy as you when it comes to that stuff. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Jessica I feel for you! I am battling a similar problem here. I just bought some of that bug spray for interior/exterior at walmart, hoping that will help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :(:(:( I can't imagine! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete