Friday, March 9, 2012

Aurora Borealis

I got an email from my dad that made me miss Alaska. I heard talk on our local news channel last night of people being able to see the Northern Lights from here if you drove out of town far enough, but I didn't believe it. Then I got this from my Dad:

We drove out to see the northern lights last night and what a display! Everyone was going up to flattop so we went the other direction to upper O’Malley and found a place to park with our lights off. That’s actually hard to do because there has been so much snow the roads are pretty narrow with high berms on either side. The moon was full and almost blinding though. Karin was on facebook seeing how good the lights were in Birchwood, Eagle River and different parts of town as comments came in from all over. However, about midnight, patience proved to be the winner. We had a display better than the fireworks finale at the fourth of July. They would grow or diminish in intensity while moving at different speeds all over the sky. It was like the heavens were shimmering and lines of light leaping in different directions. Though I have seen red in the past, these were florescent green with tips of pink on the ends. It was the most amazing lights I have ever seen.

Hope you don't mind, Dad, but I stole your email. Love you!


A local photographer took this last night. Wow, sometimes I really do miss home.
To see more of his pictures, click here.

2 comments:

  1. ok.. ok.. you convinced me.. moving to Alaska NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling a tad bit homesick when I was seeing all those FB posts about the lights too. But then I remembered how cold it typically has to be to have a really good light show, and that got me over it pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete